CJAM 99.1 FM – Student Media/University of Windsor – is hiring for the position of PROGRAM DIRECTOR. This full-time salaried position is 35 hours a week. It requires a flexible individual who is available for some evening, weekend, and on-call duties when required.
CJAM is a nonprofit volunteer-driven campus-based community radio station providing an alternative to the music and spoken-word programming featured in the mainstream media — serving listener communities that are often under represented or maligned.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Program Director is responsible for all aspects of programming. Working with staff, management, and the Program Committee, the successful applicant will help fulfill CJAM’s mandate of providing the community with quality alternative programming that is in compliance with CJAM/CRTC policy.
- Ensure that CJAM remains on the air at all times, and that what is on the air is properly documented and stored as per CRTC expectations.
- Exercise and enforce CJAM/CRTC policy.
- Keep the program schedule evolving with spoken word and music programming in accordance with CRTC policy and CJAM’s mandate.
- Serve as a resource for volunteers regarding broadcasting and programming.
- Ensure volunteers receive in depth training and skill development relating to broadcasting. (online or in-person depending on COVID restrictions)
- Review and evaluate programs regularly with staff, management, and the Program Committee.
- Ensure that the Program Committee meets at least four times a year and that members are roundly consulted between meetings.
- Host 0.5 to 2 hours of programming weekly.
- Fill in as a DJ when needed.
- Ensure that all programming content is of a high quality and in compliance with CRTC guidelines and CJAM mandate.
- Build partnerships with groups on campus and within the larger community to foster continuity, quality, and relevance in programming.
- Assist in coordination/scheduling of special programming, and special events.
- Production and broadcast of paid commercials, public service announcements, station IDs, music events/community/arts calendars, etc.
- Review of daily commercial assignments.
- Coordinate volunteer use of CJAM at-home recording equipment and in-house production studios.
- Regularly update CJAM’s website with programming news and schedule information.
- Maintain dedicated office hours/available work from home hours (as per COVID restrictions).
- Utilize CJAMs social media platforms to promote regular programming, special programming and events.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and listening skills.
- Demonstrated experience, and knowledge relating to non-commercial. music, news, views, and culture.
- Experience in new media and journalism an asset
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Conflict resolution and management skills
- Computer and basic radio/audio production skills.
- Friendly and patient disposition balanced with an ability to enforce policy.
- Volunteer coordination experience an asset
TERMS: 35 hours per week
SALARY: $29,000 to $31,000 annually to start, depending on experience.
Two weeks vacation plus extended health benefits + 10 sick days.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
by April 16th, 2021 at 5pm. We welcome and encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter. If you have any accessibility needs, please let us know. CJAM is an anti-sexist, anti-racist, anti-homophobic organization committed to diversity and equity. We strongly encourage applications from all visible and non-visible minorities.
COVID information: Currently, there is no expectation to be facilitating in-person training or offering in-person events – this is subject to change as we organizationally adapt to COVID-19 safety measures according to Provincial and University of Windsor guidelines. The Program Director will be required to work partially in office and will be given their own office with a closable door. Staff have the choice to either work partially out-of-office or work distanced in the office space full time.