April 2, 2012
PROGRAM DIRECTOR JOB POSTING
CJAM 99.1 FM — Student Media/University of Windsor –– is hiring for the position of PROGRAM DIRECTOR. This salaried full-time position is 35 hours a week. It requires a flexible individual who is available for occasional evening and weekend duties.
CJAM is a nonprofit volunteer-driven campus-based community radio station providing an alternative to the music and spoken-word programming featured in the mainstream media — serving listener communities that are often under represented or maligned.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Program Director is responsible for all aspects of programming. Working with staff, management, and the Program Committee, the successful applicant will help fulfill CJAM’s mandate of providing the community with quality alternative programming that is in compliance with CJAM/CRTC policy.
• Ensuring that CJAM remains on the air at all times, and that what is on the air is properly documented and stored as per CRTC expectations.
• Exercising and enforcing CJAM/CRTC policy.
• Keeping the program schedule evolving with spoken word and music programming in accordance with CJAM’s mandate.
• Serving as a resource for CJAM volunteers regarding all matters relating to broadcasting and programming.
• Working with the Volunteer Coordinator to ensure CJAM volunteers receive satisfactory training and skill development relating to broadcasting.
• Reviewing and evaluating all programs regularly with the assistance of staff, management, and the Program Committee.
• Ensuring that the Program Committee meets at least four times a year and that members are roundly consulted between meetings.
• Hosting 0.5 to 2 hours of programming weekly.
• Filling in as a DJ when needed.
• Ensuring that all programming content is of a high quality and in compliance with CRTC guidelines and CJAM mandate.
• Building partnerships with groups on campus and within the larger community to foster continuity, quality, and relevance in programming.
• Assisting in coordination/scheduling of sports broadcasting and special events.
• Production, rotation/traffic and broadcast and of paid commercials, public service announcements, station IDs, music events/community/arts calendars, etc.
• Production and review of daily commercial assignments.
• Coordinating volunteer use of CJAM production studios and equipment.
• Coordinating production of community events/arts/live music calendars.
• Regularly updating CJAM’s website with programming news and schedule information.
• Maintaining dedicated office hours.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and listening skills.
• Demonstrated experience, and knowledge relating to non-commercial music, news, views, and culture.
• Experience in journalism and new media.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Conflict resolution and management skills.
• Computer and basic radio/audio production skills.
• Friendly and patient disposition balanced with an ability to enforce policy.
• Management or Volunteer coordination experience a plus.
TERMS: 35 hours per week
SALARY: $24,000-$28,000 to start, depending on experience. Two weeks vacation plus extended health benefits. Please apply online to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 24. Only qualified applicants selected for interviews by the Hiring Committee will be contacted.
CJAM is an anti-sexist, anti-racist, anti-homophobic organization committed to diversity and equity. We strongly encourage applications from all visible and non-visible minorities. Where there is equity in qualifications preference will be given to minority applicants.