Student Media/University of Windsor – CJAM 99.1 FM – is hiring for the position of STATION MANAGER. The salaried full time position is 35 hours per week.
CJAM is a nonprofit volunteer-driven campus-based community radio station. We provide music and information programming not offered by mainstream commercial media in the Windsor/Detroit area. We serve people and groups within the community who are under represented or maligned by mainstream media by allowing a forum to express their views.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Station manager is ultimately responsible for all aspects of the station operations and acts as the liaison between the Corporation and the University, the UWSA, the NCRA, the Federal and Provincial governments, the Windsor/Detroit community, etc.
* Management and oversight of all aspects and operations of CJAM
* Hiring, training, supervision, and termination of all contract, grant and commission employees
* Act as the Recording Secretary for CJAM, ensuring organizational memory and infrastructure
* To ensure that all staff and volunteers are informed of and comply with current CRTC regulations and policies
* Oversee any major projects initiated by the Corporation
* Plan and monitor CJAM’s annual budget and expenses
* Develop and maintain station revenue resources as may be derived from the annual pledge drive, government grants, charitable foundations, advertising, bingo lotteries, campus/community events and other fund-raising initiatives.
* Administration of all financial aspects of the station
* Administration of all charitable bingo related paperwork, licenses, correspondences with city gaming-analyst, coordination of bingo workers, etc.
* In the absence of an advertising director, the station manager is responsible for all duties expected of that position and with hiring for the position
* To coordinate annual staff evaluations
* To consult with technical experts on a regular basis to discuss station audio, office, computer and transmitting equipment with regards to maintenance, upgrades, etc.
* The ordering of equipment and replacement parts in co-ordination with the relevant technical experts.
* Supplying and stocking general office supplies
* To organize the maintenance of the CJAM’s web presence and ensure CJAM adapts and responds to changes in digital media
* Excellent interpersonal, communication and listening skills
* Successful grant-writing experience
* Knowledge of CRTC guidelines
* Demonstrated staff and volunteer management experience
* Experience with mediation and/or conflict resolution
* Demonstrated experience and knowledge relating to non-commercial radio
* Experience in journalism and new media
* Strong organizational and time management skills
* Computer and basic radio/audio production skills
* Friendly, patient, and diplomatic disposition
TERMS: 35 hours per week
SALARY: $30,000 – $35,000 to start, depending on experience. 2 weeks vacation plus extended health benefits.
Please apply online with cover letter, resume and professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. While we appreciate all applicants, only those qualified for the position will be contacted.
Please be advised that the successful candidate will be required to obtain a police record check prior to the beginning of the job contract. The CJAM Board of Directors retains the right to withdraw any offer of employment should the candidate be unable to provide the police record check, or if the police record check gives the CJAM Board of Directors just cause to withdraw the offer of employment.
CJAM is an anti-sexist, anti-racist, anti-homophobic organization committed to diversity and equity. We strongly encourage applications from all visible and non-visible minorities. Where there is equity in qualifications preference will be given to minority applicants.
Deadline: Noon on December 6, 2011